Old 16-01-2003, 07:43 PM
PaulK

Default Slightly OT - Conservatories

"Plum" wrote in message
3. I've sometimes wondered if it's structurally possible to have a room
that's like a conservatory, but with a proper roof. This, it seems to me,
would cut down on the heat. There would be less light, of course, but it
would still be much lighter than an ordinary room because of the large
expanse of windows.

We have a 4.5m square extension with two walls (south and East) as in a
conservatory ie brick to cill height then v large windows and one wall
(north) Solid and no wall communicating with the house.

The roof is an open pine 'cathedral structure rising to a centre wooden boss
some 4m above floor height.

The roomlinks directly to the kitchen, giving a total light of about 10m and
opens directly tot he garden (East facing)

The patio is approx the same size and shape as the overall room , rotated
though 90degrees, when the doors are open the spcaes link and form one large
circulating space.

Very light and airy and a real talking point!

Is that the sort of thing you have in mind?

When the heating guy cam round to arrange for a new and relocated boiler, we
were at partial wall stage. He shook his head and said that there was
nothing he could do to keep the room warm enough - until we pointed out that
the roof would be solid not glass and he breathed a great sigh of relief.

pk