Old 09-10-2005, 12:26 PM
Lil' Dave

"ginav" wrote in message
om...
We have an older established tree whose roots are starting to grow above

the
surface of the lawn. We have been told that we need to cover the roots

with
soil to protect the tree's health. We would like to do this soon, but are
unsure what to plant once we have put the soil down. The lawn is St
Augustine, I have been told this grass will only grow from sod, and should
be put down in the spring. What can I plant temporarily to keep soil in
place that is cheap-- as I will replace it in the spring, but I want it to
be at least presentable till then. Thanks!

Most arborists will tell you to leave the surface root travel alone. This
where the tree gets most its water and nutrients. The tap root and sister
roots are primarily for establishing the tree.

Find an arborist to verify the surface root structure compared to the trunk
depth in regards to burying the surface travelers. Pecan trees are
notorious for above ground travelers.

As noted in another reply, winter rye is good for winter coverage. It won't
sprout until the temp is around 40F, and alot of native rain/drizzle is
present. So don't expect much until then. If allowed to form seed,
reseeding the following season is probably unneeded. New seed will lay
dormant until such time the temp and precipitation is adequate. The color
is awesome, very lush green with a very minor touch of blue. Grows well
even in red clay soil which my St. Augustine (Palmetto) hates.