Old 09-10-2005, 02:32 PM
Ray

I have been using the GreenCare RO-water version since April of 2003. It is
designed to be used at 125 ppm N for continuous feeding (i.e., at every
watering). For about the first three- or four months, I used it at about
half that concentration, but ever since I decided to simply go with the
stated rate.

Since using it, I see faster growth, larger plants - including phals, paphs
and phrags with more leaves - and more reliable blooming. Most of my
vandaceous plants bloom at least twice a year, many three times, when they
were only annual bloomers previously.

Of most significance to me was the fact that several plants that had done
essentially nothing for extended periods of time sprang back to active
growth several months into this period. For example, I managed to "fry" an
Encyclia atrorubens when recovering the greenhouse. The pseudobulbs were
plump and green, but there were no leaves. For close to two years it stayed
that way - not desiccating, but no new growth. About two months after
starting with the fertilizing regime, a new growth sprang to life, and it
has grown and bloomed reliably ever since. I had a similar result with
Inobulbon munificum. It grew very slowly and never carried more than one
new pseudobulb to maturity before the last would start to wither, and no
blooming. After about a year or so under 'the treatment" it bloomed (photo
at a.b.p.o), and has been growing bigger each year.

Don't get me wrong. I do not think the MSU stuff is "magic." I switched
from using Dyna-Gro "Grow" formula at about 75 ppm N, so a lot of the
increased vigor could be merely due to increasing the feeding rate. The use
of the RO formula also saves me from making adjustments. Using D-G in RO
gives an exceedingly acidic pH, so it was necessary to make an adjustment
before feeding, and I did so with Pro-TeKt. With the size of my collection,
I feed via a dosing pump, and one cannot add "Grow" and Pro-TeKt
concentrates to the same tank, or all kinds of minerals will precipitate.
I, therefore, had to have two dosing pumps, monitor the outputs of each, and
verify the pH of the output.. With the GreenCare MSU formula, I mix the
powder in one tank and I'm ready to water.

I do believe that the formulation has an advantage with lower phosphorus.
The plants don't need all that much, so there is less being dumped into the
environment to potentially cause eutrification in ponds. The Commonwealth
of Pennsylvania (among other states, and all of Canada, I believe) are
starting to monitor and regulate phosphate waste in agriculture, so it's
nice to know that I'm contributing less to the problem. (I am aware of a
drive for phosphate reduction in oil drilling muds in Canada, so I assume
the ag part is there, are will be.)

"Bryan" wrote in message
Hello:

Anybody using MSU fertilizer care to comment on it's effectiveness etc...

-=Bryan=-