Old 09-10-2005, 09:40 AM
Steve Newport

Have just moved into a house with a fig tree
Lots of small green figs now (October) but hjave read that figs in UK
climate take 2 years to ripen. Leave the small ones on at the end of
this year - they will be ripe end of next

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 22:48:08 +0100, "Anthony Stokes"
wrote:

"Tim Tyler" wrote in message
I bought a new fig tree :-)
It's about 80 cm tall - and has got 13 green figs on it.
My question is: Should I remove the green figs?
I'm new to fig cultivating - but I understand that figs that form too
late to ripen will simply steal energy from the rest of the plant -
without ever being useful as food.
Should I hope for an "indian" summer. Or is it too late for these figs?

With a fig tree growing in my garden located 30km east of London I find that
those figs which survive the winter may go on to ripen in the following
year.
Many of the figs die in the winter and drop of, but not all.
Plenty more figs start to appear the following year regardless of what is
left on the tree.

Anthony