Old 09-10-2005, 02:24 PM
Brian

"iamwhatiam" wrote in message
news
I have some figs in the garden that are very ripe, and sweet and
tastey.

Would the seed be viable to grow ?? How do I seperate the seed from
the pulp ?? What do the seed look like ???

The Fig that you eat is not a true fruit. You eat the swollen stalk.
The whole 'fruit' is turned inside-out so that the fruits are on the inside.
These are drupes and it is their stones that give the gritty feel.
Pollination is achieved by a minute moth entering at the eye. I don't see
this happening in the UK.
If you have good ripe figs, then leave well alone and be grateful~~ You
have done well.
Best Wishes Brian..