Old 09-10-2005, 02:54 PM
JennyC

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message

I saw a newspaper report yeaterday which claimed the UK is the only
country in the world to grow an apple variety (Bramley) specifically for
cooking. Does anyone know if this is true?

Janet

The Brambly apple site says that Brambly's are the only cooking apple (but then
they may be slightly prejudiced!) http://www.bramleyapples.co.uk/info.htm

I seem to think however that there may be some truth in it, as I've never seen
specific cooking apples anywhere else in Europe or the States.

All I know is that Brambly are bugger to pick. Huge high trees and really large
fruit, so that you have to run up and down the ladder a lot :~(

Jenny