Old 09-10-2005, 07:20 PM
Stubby

G Burton wrote:
I have ugly grass mixed in with my dwarf fescue. I have been fighting
the problem for years. A man at my local nursurey finally said that the
ugly grass is "wild fescue", and that there is nothing I can do about it.
He even said that if I kill all the grass and plant all new dwarf fescue
that he wild fescue would blow right back in again. I couldn't find much
useful information about "wild fescue" on the internet. There were mentions
of it, but nothing that directly applies to my situation.

I believe he is probably right, but I am posting this just in case
anyone knows of a better solution.

I am also interested in chosing a better grass in case I finally decide
to get rid of all fescue. I am very satisfied dwarf fescue, but the wild
fescue makes me want to change to a different type. I am hoping that there
is a type of nice-looking grass allows me to kill off all its competiors and
grows well in my zone (Western Garden Book zone 14).

Most garden centers have a copy of the Ortho "encyclopedia". It covers
all varieties of grass and weeds. But some of the info might be a bit
out of date. "Tall Fescue" is listed as a common weed grass and might
be your problem. However this strain was carefully bread to make a good
lawn grass. It resists brown-out in the Summer because it sends roots
down 3 feet.

http://www.ortho.com/