Old 09-10-2005, 05:37 PM
Bourne Identity

On Sun, 09 Oct 2005 16:11:55 GMT, "Cindy" wrote:

As noted in another reply, winter rye is good for winter coverage.
It won't sprout until the temp is around 40F, and alot of native
rain/drizzle is present. So don't expect much until then. If
allowed to form seed, reseeding the following season is probably
unneeded. New seed will lay dormant until such time the temp and
precipitation is adequate. The color is awesome, very lush green
with a very minor touch of blue. Grows well even in red clay soil
which my St. Augustine (Palmetto) hates.

Any chance of finding seed in Home Depot? I want to try some. I wouldn't
mind mowing in winter. My son needs something to do, ha ha!

Sure, you can buy it anywhere now. You may want to go with perennial
rye. Some don't like that, but if you are wanting this each year,
it's nice to use the perennial rye. It's pretty inexpensive and the
whole trick is to keep it moist till it germinates. So, that means
you may have to hand water it about 4 times a day to keep the surface
moist and you will have to rough up the soil a little so they have
contact with the soil.