Old 16-01-2003, 09:43 PM
paul olive

Default Overgrown allotment?

if you have lots of nettles, try putting a kilo of nettles in with ten
litres of water, and leeve it for two weeks, then use as a liquid feed in a
1 to 10 feed to water ratio, giving a nettle to eventaul water ratio of 1 to
100. By the way, if you do not use litres and kilos, then just have 1 part
of nettle to 10 parts of water BY WEIGHT , because 1 litre weihs a kilo

From: "H"
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 09:58:31 -0000
Subject: Overgrown allotment?

Am thinking about taking on an allotment this year. However, according to
the allotment secretary, it is well overgrown. It hasn't been used for at
least 3 years. No-one seems to want to tackle it ;-)

So, given that I can't spend all my spare time down there .. and the fact
that I don't have much spare time to start with, what's the best / quickest
way to clear it?

Don't want to use chemicals, btw. An advantage of the plot is that it should
be clean re chemicals and such nasties.

What about simply dumping a whole load of manure over the top?
What about rotavating it - if I can borrow a rotavator?

Any ideas?

Oh ... and what is a 'rod'? The sec said they were '10 rod' allotments. How
big is that is real money?

Best,

- h