Old 09-10-2005, 03:11 PM
Kay

In article , JennyC
writes

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message

I saw a newspaper report yeaterday which claimed the UK is the only
country in the world to grow an apple variety (Bramley) specifically for
cooking. Does anyone know if this is true?

Janet

The Brambly apple site says that Brambly's are the only cooking apple (but then
they may be slightly prejudiced!)

that's rubbish - Scotts catalogue lists 50 varieties of cooking apples -
and that's just the ones they stock.

Incidentally - for the poster who was after a Red Bramley - Scotts list
Crimson Bramley, which sounds to be what you're after.

http://www.bramleyapples.co.uk/info.htm

I seem to think however that there may be some truth in it, as I've never seen
specific cooking apples anywhere else in Europe or the States.

But there again, how many varieties of dessert apples have you seen,
compared to the hundreds in existence?

--
Kay