Old 09-10-2005, 04:39 PM
Mike Lyle

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Kay" wrote in reply to Steve Newport

Have just moved into a house with a fig tree
Lots of small green figs now (October) but hjave read that figs

in
UK climate take 2 years to ripen. Leave the small ones on at the
end of this year - they will be ripe end of next

No, that's not true. The ones that are any size now will drop off

in
the spring, and the ones that will ripen in the summer are only

just
appearing as tiny knobs now.

Figs won't stay on the tree for two years.

According to Mony last Friday the little fruitlets should be

removed
now as they will not ripen and will take food from the plant. The
fruit for next year are just little tiny buds now.

I like Monty, but it _was_ English he did at university! Subject to
correction, I'd say those fruitlets won't take anything away from the
tree during the cold season, so it ought to be OK to leave them to
drop of their own accord.

--
Mike.