Old 09-10-2005, 06:44 PM
Mike Lyle

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Bertie Doe wrote:
I have some some plants of MrFothergill's 'Perpetual Spinach -

Leaf
Beet'. I have taken 'perpetual' to mean continious cropping
throughout the season, until (I assume) first frost.
Does anyone know whether these plants are perenneal, or will I

need
to sow fresh seed in Spring ? TIA.

Biennial. You will get some leaves early on, but they will go to
seed. That is, if they are what I think they are.

Yep. Compare the wild ancestor, sea-beet. I've left them in, and got
a very small picking before they bolted. Much better to sow afresh
every year, as there are other greens which will feed you early in
the year.

--
Mike.