Old 10-10-2005, 02:07 AM
J Fortuna

Default the Phals they are a-spiking!

The nights are getting a bit cooler in the DC area, and my Phals are
initiating spikes! I noticed seven new spikes in the past couple of weeks,
including today a new spike on the very first Phal that I ever got. I love
it when they do that! I think I get a bigger thrill out of a new spike than
out of a new flower. I guess part of it is that by the time the flower
opens, it's not a surprise any more, since it is kind of expected after the
spike and bud have been growing for a while, but the new spike always gives
me this thrill: it's a sense of accomplishment (I got them to respike yet
again), the unexpected gift from the orchid god. Plus even though I have had
them reflowering for me before I am still enough of a newbie (after 4.5
years of growing orchids) that I still don't take it for granted that they
will reflower for me (even with those that have been reflowering like
clockwork. Also now I know that they like the new condo's conditions just
fine. Happy orchids, happy me.

Joanna