Old 09-10-2005, 10:48 PM
Mike Lyle

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message
from Kay contains these words:

Codling is another cooker.

Are all codlins cookers? I know Keswick Codlin, *huge* and baking

a delicious soft fluff. Scotts says 'Keswick Codlin, like all the
codlins, immensely prolific and reliable' so there must be other
codlins.

Dunno - I knew there was another Codlin - we always put the 'g' on

the
end - but I've only experience of the pale green/cream cooker -

from
the house I was in aged three to ten, and the next one, from ten

and
on and off, mid twenties.

OED agrees that -g is the earlier form (c1440). It also says there
are several "sub-varieties", mentioning the Kentish Codling as well
as the Keswick of that ilk, "etc." It suggests that the word probably
applied to apples too hard to be eaten raw, but expanded to cover
others of similar shape.

OT: In case you want to know, I find there that "coddy-moddy" is a
dialect word for the black-headed gull, esp. in the eastern counties.

--
Mike.