Old 17-01-2003, 10:08 AM
Charlie Pridham

Default Slightly OT - Conservatories

"Sarah Dale" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 16 Jan 2003 14:49:43 +0000, Alison wrote:

On a similar note, I'd be interested in anyone's experiences with what I
think is a coated polycarbonate roof. Its meant to reflect the heat in
summer, retain more heat in winter and generally be wonderful. Anyone
heard of this stuff and is it any good?

TIA,

Sarah

Polycarb especially tinted sorts is noisy and restricts some of the white
light plants need. you can't beat glass for roofs but remember the slope
needs to be about 40 degrees to allow in maximum heat in the winter. Use
double glazed safety glass. my conservatory is wood and I do need to
repair/maintain fairly reguarly (but it is over 150 years old!) new bits I
treat and they seem to last well.
Shading should always be on the outside not inside (I grow plants over
mine). and a solid base wall and tiled floor keeps the pots cool and allows
for damping down in summer.
You can't have too much ventilation in the roof and sides (bear in mind it
has to be open even when you are away)
And lastly however big you were thinking you will wish you had gone bigger!

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk