Old 10-10-2005, 09:04 AM
0tterbot

Default newbie with a carrot question!

hello all,

i've been lurking about a bit (hello!) & enjoying reading along, & noticed
there's not a big emphasis on veggie q & a, but if anyone can help, please
do! :-)

i sowed a batch of carrot seed yesterday, & discovered this morning a
certain dog (ahem) has been frolicking in the ground where i sowed them.
seedlings theoretically should appear within about 10 days, so now i'm not
sure if he's ruined the potential crop but waiting 10+ days to find out for
sure seems a bit silly if i'll just need to do it again anyway. it's not
been dug up, kicked out & made an absolute mess of, but i daresay there's
been enough disruption that potentially most of them won't grow as the seed
will now be too deep; but having not grown carrots before, i have no idea!
where it was smooth, there are now a variety of hills and footprints 10cm
high/deep, if that gives you an idea.

best to re-sow immediately, or wait & see what happens, or should they be
fine? if they're probably going to be fine should i smooth it out or just
leave it?

more about us - we (self, husband, boys aged 9 & 6, dog) live in canberra
(crikey!!) temporarily, & my garden is essentially a practice run for when
we get to the country next year or so & start growing fruit & veg for real
on a larger scale (self-sufficiency being the point). in the meantime, i
need more experience, so that's what i'm doing at the moment - filling in
the empty spots with edibles, & getting practice taking & growing cuttings,
& such as that :-) for the most part i've found it's quite easy & intuitive
(after reading approximately 1000 books ;-), but this carrot seed question
has me rather stumped! for whatever it's worth, i'd assume the answer is
going to apply to any other seed which should be planted shallowly & left
undisturbed, so knowing the answer should serve me well, if the answer is
out there.

nice to meet you & many thanks in advance! :-)
kylie