Old 10-10-2005, 09:43 AM
Lil' Dave

"Cindy" wrote in message

As noted in another reply, winter rye is good for winter coverage.
It won't sprout until the temp is around 40F, and alot of native
rain/drizzle is present. So don't expect much until then. If
allowed to form seed, reseeding the following season is probably
unneeded. New seed will lay dormant until such time the temp and
precipitation is adequate. The color is awesome, very lush green
with a very minor touch of blue. Grows well even in red clay soil
which my St. Augustine (Palmetto) hates.

Any chance of finding seed in Home Depot? I want to try some. I wouldn't
mind mowing in winter. My son needs something to do, ha ha!

Consider trying something resembling a feed or garden store. Seeding for
winter cover is normally a rural thing. HD and Lowes are more into
urban/suburban needs in the gardening section.