Old 17-01-2003, 12:52 PM
Ken Riley

Default Slightly OT - Conservatories

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003 14:49:43 -0000, "Alison"
o.uk wrote:

Apologies for not being *quite* garden orientated but there are just so many
lovely conservatory plants about that we're considering having one built.

I value all the opinions given here so I'd like to ask your experiences of
conservatories. Like polycarb roof or glass, timber construction or uPVC,
roof vents or roof blinds? Are there any things you wish you had known when
you bought yours or things you would change now given half a chance? Any
manufacturers that you've been impressed with? Pitfalls to watch out for?
It's such a huge cost that any scraps of experience/wisdom would be greatly
appreciated.

TIA
--Alison

We have a polycarb roof on ours and I belive you can get tinted ones
to give some shade. From an environmental point of view, our builder
recommended uPVC as he said it was impossible to guarantee timber was
from renewed forests, but on the other hand uPVC surely damages the
environment in its making. Your choice. Our conservatory is south
facing and in the summer the sun can be scorching. We solved this
problem by making two troughs with trellis on the back and putting
them against the sunniest corner of the conservatory and put a
honeysuckle in each. It grew away fast and right from the first
summer we had lots of leaves to shade that part of the conservatory
and in the winter it loses all its leaves and plenty of light comes
through the stems.

Joan in Bramhall (Cheshire)