Old 10-10-2005, 04:00 PM
David Ross

told2b wrote:

Hi --
Is there an easy way for a beginner gardener
to identify an acacia seedling?
I've read that both Black locust and Honey locust
have thorns or spines and bipinnately compound leaves.
Since Acacia dealbata seems to have both of these
features how can you tell which is which if you have
an immatute 1 foot plant?
TIA

Wait until it's big enough to cut a twig with at least two leaves
and some thorns. Take the twig to a local college and ask someone
in the botony or horticulture department. That's what I did to
identify a Zelkova serrata tree.

--

David E. Ross
URL:http://www.rossde.com/