Old 10-10-2005, 04:21 PM
Siouxzi

Well I don't know what it was either, but that fig tree needs some
pruning for sure, and then I will be more careful next year about
watering and fertilizing... and, Laurie, I am going to order a fig or
two from Paradise (thanks again, Wes...). I also plan to order a
couple as gifts for my neighbor and another friend. So, while I have
very limited areas of sun on my property, I can raid THEIR trees.

For now... well, the (*#)_$+ Japanese stilt grass finally strangled my
lovely circular garden of English ivy (imagine that! What kind of pest
plant is obnoxious enough to kill off ivy?) . Finally I had to Roundup
the whole thing, and so now I've got a big brown circle in the middle
of the sunniest spot on our property. Hmmm, what shall I plant there?
Yeah! A Mediterranean green fig tree.

Cheers
Sue

On Sun, 9 Oct 2005 16:06:01 -0400, Donna Maroni
wrote:

On Sat, 8 Oct 2005, laurie (Mother Mastiff) wrote:

This year, the tree is 5-6 times bigger, but the fruits have been much less
plentiful per branch, small and pale....it sounds like your
crop is very similar. Maybe something in the weather has affected the crop
across the area.

I don't think it was the weather. I have access to a friend's huge fig
tree, and this year was even better than former years: lots of big, plump,
sweet fruit.

I like to use these figs for fig-sesame jam (epicurious.com) and for
spiced figs, adding extra lemon peel in both cases.

Donna