Old 10-10-2005, 04:24 PM
gentlegreen

"La puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

gentlegreen wrote:
If it isn't bad enough that town councils won't accept sprout
peelings
because they "may have shared a kitchen with a ham sandwich "....

(snip)

Sorry, I missed the programme. What did he actually say?

Oh the usual thing - "cooked scraps attract vermin" (shock horror) ....
Maybe it's because I live in the city - aware that I share the planet
with
rats ... even had one sneak in through rotten woodwork a few years back -
now fixed. It ended up in my compost bin once I'd lured it to a trap with
cooked squid and finished it off with a hammer - went in whole - no sign
of
it a year later.

Yurk! That's amazing. I've burried our hamster 19 months ago and by
accident we dug it up to find hair and bones still pretty much there!
Weird rat your rat! Sure it was a rat? ...

But what monty said was not to put any meat in the compost and that's
very much something zillions of other gardeners do. And so do I. It's
simply not a good idea. Cooked veg can go in there too.

Yep - definitely a rat - had to bash his brains out with a hammer - but as I
say it went into my red hot compost bin so was quickly dealt with by mother
nature.

As to the meat thing, I was vegan for 20 years but the past 2 I've been
experimenting with fish and I always make a point of gutting them myselves
so I can add them to my compost. Since I have a security camera and PIR lamp
I would know if there was any live rat activity.

Zillions of gardeners CAN be wrong ;-)

http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache...++meat&hl=e n