Old 10-10-2005, 05:41 PM
JennyC

"Mike Lyle" wrote
JennyC wrote:
"Jaques d'Alltrades"
The message
from "JennyC" contains these words:
snip
All I know is that Brambly are bugger to pick.

Enormous wooden ladders, canvas backbags, did my shoulder in :~(
Jenny

It occurs to me, in my Professor Branestawm mode, that there may be a
solution. I have no idea if it would work, but what about a long
narrow tube of cloth, like a skinny giant's stocking, with a hoop of
wire, cane, or withy at the top? You take the hoop end up the tree
with you, leaving the floppy end in a wheelbarrow; drop each apple
into the tube as you pick it. Would the cloth slow down the apple
enough to prevent bruising? Would there be a way of stopping the
whole thing blocking up at the bottom and leaving you clutching a
floppy ten-foot stick of apples?
Mike.

One has to be VERY careful about bruising apples when picking them. They have to
be put gently into the bag and tipped out real slow.......we'd not get paid for
boxes with bruised apples in them :~(

Commercial apples go into cold store for a long time and any bruised ones can
ruin a whole crate.

Jenny