Old 10-10-2005, 06:13 PM
gentlegreen

"JennyC" wrote in message

"gentlegreen" wrote
snipped
Zillions of gardeners CAN be wrong ;-)

We are always told to put on loads of stuff at the same time to raise the
temperature of the compost heap...... but how do you do that when you only
have
a very small garden with not much waste, and there's only two of you, so
not
much veggie waste either?

I should be ashamed really to be throwing away quite so much food :-(

I actually make fairly rubbish compost at the moment - my compost bin is
probably more of a worm bin. My high protein (=high nitrogen) waste is
bulked up with kitchen towel etc.

My bottom line is to return it to the ground - and there is a certain
something in even badly made compost that can put the zing back into tired
soil.

I have a Tesco at the end of my street and a few months ago someone raided
their waste bins and I found quite a few bread rolls and cakes in the
street - which promptly went in the mix. If I had the space I would find it
hard to resist the temptation to divert much of their waste stream ;-)

I consistently have inkcap mushrooms growing in there :-

http://img420.imageshack.us/img420/9...shrooms1zf.jpg