Old 10-10-2005, 06:34 PM
Brian

"Janet Galpin" wrote in message
The message
from "Brian" --- 'flayb' to respond contains these

words:

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Brian wrote:
[...]
Most surprisingly the MM106 rootstock is itself an
exceptionally
good keeping cooker. Just left alone and not grafted etc.
Best Wishes Brian.

That's very interesting. Other details? (x-ploid, size of crop,
bearing habits, etc)

--
Mike.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~#
Diploid[34], Spur fruiting, Very green and slightly angular~a little
colour. Free fruiting and keeps well. Not used before end Nov. Has no
name~supposedly in common with 90% of UK vars..

Is this true that 90% of UK varieties are unnamed. I have two apple
trees which were apparently part of a job lot of otherwise native
species planted as a small spinney by the previous owners of my house.
I sent the apples to be identified by RHS and they reckoned one was
James Grieve and the other American Mother. They clearly aren't though
and they have defied my efforts to identify them. The 'Mother' apples
are especially good.
How do these unnamed varieties come about and then come to be sold on? I
imagine mine was a part of a very cheap selection. The owner didn't even
realise he'd planted any apples in with the oaks, maples, ashes etc. I
can't see any sign of grafting either, so wonder whether they could just
have been grown from seed

Janet G

I was surprised too. The study found that most villages had at least
one local apple, inherited from some seedling~ and favoured locally. This
was multiplied by the number of villages and found their result to be 9:1
unknown to named.
Best Wishes Brian.