Old 17-01-2003, 01:47 PM
Victoria Clare

Default Slightly OT - Conservatories

(Nick Maclaren) wrote in
:

In article ,
Martin Sykes wrote:

"Plum" wrote in message
snip because of the many deep-framed little sections. £6,000 (yes, SIX
THOUSAND
POUNDS!) was the figure quoted for the roof blinds. So our conservatory

roof
will remain unshaded, I'm afraid!

Just an idea, but could you suspend a grid of wires from the ceiling and
grow climbers over them to provide a natural curtain?

You certainly can. To some extent, you can ensure that the cover
is there only in the summer, too. But you must either have a fairly
solid wooden conservatory or insist that the fixtures are built in!

I grew annual ipomoeas across ours, just attached to string and a few cup-
hooks, which they covered very quickly.

They don't get heavy or woody, and at the end of the season you just unhook
the lot. Gives them just that bit of extra shelter they need to do really
well and look stunning.

I personally don't like perennial climbers inside the conservatory (unless
its a really tropical hothouse) because they always seem to get so dusty
and attract cobwebs after a few years, and it's so hard to get them clean.

Victoria