Old 10-10-2005, 09:13 PM
Mike Lyle

JennyC wrote:
"gentlegreen" wrote
snipped
Zillions of gardeners CAN be wrong ;-)

We are always told to put on loads of stuff at the same time to

raise
the temperature of the compost heap...... but how do you do that

when
you only have a very small garden with not much waste, and there's
only two of you, so not much veggie waste either?

I wouldn't worry about it. Hot or cold or in between, it'll break
down in the end, whatever the "bigger-than-yours" boys say. I suspect
that one of the reasons for the fashion (and that's all it is) for
bought-in compost bins is that they disguise the quantity!

If having a small heap irritates you, then try a small hole
somewhe just chuck stuff in till it's full or you get fed up,
cover with a bit of earth and dig another.

--
Mike.