Old 10-10-2005, 06:58 PM
Lynda Thornton

In article . com, La
puce writes

Lynda Thornton wrote:
I planted a fairly large bronze phormium earlier in the summer and just
the other day noticed that it looked as though it had lost some leaves,
almost half in fact! On closer inspection I found that lots of the
large leaves looked chewed through,

(snip)
I might
put some preventative pellets on that too just in case.

Hi Lynda. Before you go off to buy some pellets now, perhaps you'd
consider looking into copper rings to put around your plant until next
spring when you'll get lots more slugs/snails? Then, you can hunt them
for 1 week or 2 which will very much get rid of most of them. I have
used copper rings for 2 years now - in both my gardens and allotment.
It's a very clever device and leaves your concience intact )

Hi

I've got some copper tape which I've used before to construct barriers,
but this plant is quite large and I don't think it will be very easy to
stop slugs etc climbing up the leaves from elsewhere or up through the
soil underneath, but I might try it to see if it has any effect.

Lynda