Old 11-10-2005, 09:06 AM
p.k.

John wrote:
In article ,
Janet Baraclough wrote:

In the last week, our heaps have received a giant sack of
lawnclippings, present from next door, the last six sacks of
shearing-shed sweepings
from the farm up the road (wool and muck) and four of seaweed.
[etc. etc.]

Janet: what I'd like to know is: how often do you turn your compost,
and how do you turn it?

I've got two 1m^3 bins side by side. Tannelised timber construction

One rotting down, one filling, when the filler is full I empty the rotter
and then transfer the filler into the rotter. ie the most recent unrotted
stuff goes to the bottom and the old stuff comes to the top

Filling take about 1 year by which time the rotter is ready for use.

I do no other turning.

Everything goes in: Lawn mowings, soft prunings, kitchen waster, guine pig
hutch cleanings.

Result: Well rotted & sweet smelling

pk