Old 11-10-2005, 12:03 PM
La puce

Steve Newport wrote:
Sorry guys, I know this is a very old discussion and I am not saying I
agree with the proposition, but it caught my eye.
One thing I do know is that edible snail growers do use copper strip
to confine snails. I originally believed this was something to do with
getting a mild electric 'shock' as their slime reacts with the copper
- still do.

I use copper rings all the time. I've bought them for friends and
relatives and all are very happy with them. It's remarkable stuff. I've
grown for example Hollyhocks where I was totally unable to for years. I
do a series of midnight snails/slugs hunts in the spring which kills
all the adults. The copper rings deter the rest. I might be French but
I don't eat the snails ;o)

However, this tool thing implies either something different or a
potential electric shock biugger than I thought possible.
These guys sell copper tools and make a passing reference to snails
and slugs not liking copper.

I don't think it's a gizmo or a marketing point. These tools leave
behind a copper residue, and the older the tools the more sulphate and
chloride sesidue they deposit. It all contributes to the stuff snails
don't like.