Old 11-10-2005, 01:22 PM
Mike Lyle

La puce wrote:
Steve Newport wrote:

[...]
However, this tool thing implies either something different or a
potential electric shock biugger than I thought possible.
These guys sell copper tools and make a passing reference to

snails
and slugs not liking copper.

I don't think it's a gizmo or a marketing point. These tools leave
behind a copper residue, and the older the tools the more sulphate

and
chloride sesidue they deposit. It all contributes to the stuff

snails
don't like.

Chloride? Sulphate? Ever keen to learn, so whence? I really can't, in
any case, see how ordinary gardening operations with a trowel or
little hand-fork could make the slightest difference -- or even with
digging spade and fork, though surely bronze wouldn't be the most
practical material for these bigger tools? To have an effect on
snails, I'd guess the soil would have to be seriously contaminated,
and we don't want that.

--
Mike.