Old 11-10-2005, 03:15 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "JennyC" contains these words:
"cineman" wrote in message
. ..
Please don't look in my garden then.
I have about 20 lights spread over my garden, but they only come
after a day
of sun.

snipped

Aghhhhhhh - should be banned

I found the top of one of those lying beside the road. It didn't work,
but i picked it up all the same 'cos it had one of those high-output
LEDs in it and the NiCad accumulator.

I found that by resoldering the LED legs in, it worked. It fits on top
of a candle lamp I have: it has a frosted globe with ferny pattern of
clear glass, so I made a reflector from a cocoa tin seal and the light
from the mainly downwards-facing LED is thrown back up. It looks for all
the world like a small Tilley table lamp with a mini mantle, and there's
*JUST* enough light to read by.

So, they're not all bad.

We were recently in one of the (allegedly) darkest places on Earth
(Bryce Canyon
USA) and one could actually see the Milky Way !!

You don't have to go down a canyon to see the Milky way - you can see it
from my garden - clouds permitting. I unforget having an eleven-year-old
from Greater London staying with me one January, and we had just fed the
rabbits and he looked up and saw the sky. It was a particularly clear
one and you could almost reach up and pick the stars. He gasped with
wonder - he'd never seen a night sky unpolluted with sodium lamps and
the like, and was convinced it was another marvellous function of
Norfolk...

Light pollution is a big problem for wildlife too

It's certainly queered the pitch for glow-worms.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/