Old 11-10-2005, 06:04 PM
JennyC

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message .com
from "La puce" contains these words:
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:

Visit your local greengrocer, who is often only too pleased to give you
lots of stuff to take away. Add cardboard, newsprint, hedge clippings
(if any), and even take in stuff from gardenproud neighbours who must
have a 'clinicly clean and tidy' garden.

Egg boxes, comfrey, weeds, leaves ... When I feel my compost needs a
bit more I collect from my allotment's skip. It's crazy the amount of
stuff people just throw away.

I'm gonna experiment this year with an open compost, just a pile of
weed on the lotty and I'll grow nasturtium on it. I saw a pile like
this once and it was so pretty. I just hope it won't harden too much.
Anyone did this?

Not the nasturtium treatment, but I have a not-so-small steaming
hillock, but (Ref. your previous post) not having any boys to do it for
me, I have to drink a lot of tea.

Next spring I shall either plant a pumpkin on it, or if it is
sufficiently usable, add it somewhere where it will do some good.

I have plans for the bottom of the garden (Fairy Nuff?) which include
the removal of the hedge and its replacement with fruiting things, the
planting of a Charles Ross, (and possibly, in defiance of some opinion
here, a Bramley...) and the construction of a garage workshop.

The rockery, a heap of spoil from the footings of the ablutions block
added by the previous owner and dotted with some sort of pumice-like
chunks of some sort of slag, and placed there to disguise the concrete
top of the septic tank - er - where was I? Oh yes, the rockery will be
removed and a greenhouse is planned for the vacated space.

How did I get here from an open compost heap?
Rusty

errrrrr via the shed ?
Jenny :~)