Old 11-10-2005, 09:36 PM
Brian

"chris French" wrote in message
In message .com,
Connor T writes
Hi,

We've just gained a huge apple tree and were wondering how to tell what
it is.

Brogdale do an fruit Identification Service:

http://www.brogdale.org/html/fruit_identification.html

--
Chris French

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Trying to find the name is both expensive and an inexact essay.
Accept it for what it is give it your own name. You already know that
it grows well in your locality and fruits prolifically. To have achieved
this size it will also have been healthy. Keep them over winter [as long as
possible] and keep testing for cooking and flavour.
Leave some on the tree~~ many old vars. will stay on till spring.
Most of my own apples [of 60 vars.] are not named, but were collected
from local villages, and grow much better than well known vars. I have given
them all names related to where found or who likes it most.
Beware pruning. Winter pruning will encourage even further strong
growth. Summer pruning promotes fruiting. Remove old branches only if you
wish to replace them with newer growths. The French use this method more
than we do.
Good luck ~~it sounds like a worthwhile apple or would have been
removed previously.
Best Wishes Brian.