Old 17-01-2003, 10:11 PM
Larry Stoter

Default Runner beans

Rufus wrote:

Hi,

This year my wife and I hope to grow runner beans up canes in three large
tubs. I would welcome any recommendations, particularly for beans that
flower and crop well when restricted to tubs. I understand that a rich,
compost is essential. Any advice on the type of compost would also be most
welcome. Finally, is it worth doing, or should I stick to buying them from
the local supermarket?

Thank you,
Rufus

I would suggest you try climbing French beans instead. They don't crop
as heavily as runner beans but require less water and food and seem
generally tougher. Try Blue Coco - lilac/white flowers and dark purple
pods, which makes picking a lot easier. They also crop along the whole
length of the vine and do so over a period of months. Tasty as well and
much better than anything you can buy in a supermarket!
--
Larry Stoter