Old 12-10-2005, 05:47 AM
mm

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 10:50:42 -0400, "Frank Rosenbaum"
wrote:

Hi,

Hope someone can help.

I have a dead raccoon trapped under my deck. Problem is that it is in a
location I can't reach unless I tear the deck apart. I have no problem
letting it decompose naturally but the stench is bad and I am worried
about
disease.

Personally I don't think it will cause disease. Depressing topic but
someone on the news pointed out that the dead bodies from Katrina
wouldn't cause disease even if they weren't buried quickly.

It is people or animals who die from communicable diseases that are a
health risk. Of course maybe you don't know what killed the raccoon.

But soon the bugs and flies will find it and eat it. When they are
done, they'll leave. What part of the country are you in and how
long has it been there?

I can see it through the cracks in the deck and can pour liquid or powder
(maybe) on the carcass.

The traditional substance is lime. a powder, white, I think. It's
used iirc when people are afraid of contagion and there are too many
bodies to bury them right away. Maybe I'm thinking of cases when
cattle die. It speeds decomposition iiuc. I think you can buy it at
garden stores, where it is sold to change the pH of soil iirc. Sure,
don't people spread it on lawns for that reason?

Any suggestions as to what I can do would be greatly appreciated as I am
trying to avoid tearing
apart the deck.

Thanks.

Alan