Old 12-10-2005, 06:26 AM
sherwindu

Hi Dan,

Apples trees do not attract any more bees than any other flowering plants like
ornamental trees or flowers. I do not see large amounts of bees in my home
orchard, but yellow jacket wasps are plentiful when the fruit begins to ripen.
This can be controlled by keeping the fallen fruit off the ground, and disposing
of any rotten fruit on the trees. I also use wasp traps, which keeps the population
under control. I have had two stings in the past 15 years of raising fruit, but that
could happen without fruit trees in the vicinity. Generally, the wasps and bees will
not bother you, and buzz harmlessly around your body. You have to be careful if
they build a nest in the trees as they will try and defend it if it is disturbed.
Anotherwords, using common sense can deter any serious problems. You are
going to have insects in any backyard with a garden or orchard, but they should
not be a big problem. We have club members who actually have hives in their
backyards, but seem to have things under control. I actually find myself doing a
lot of hand pollination in my area where the bees either come out too late, or are
just not around.

Sherwin D.

"Dan J.S." wrote:

"sherwindu" wrote in message
My club, Midwest Fruit Explorers is putting on a show this weekend at the
Morton
Arboretum in Lisle Illinois (off of highway 88). Hours are 10am to 4:30pm
on Oct 15
and Oct 16. Parking is $7, but our show is free,
and you get to see the Arboretum, as well. We will have over 100
varieties of apples
grown by our members on display. There will be other fruits, berries, and
nuts too.
There will be a demonstration of a working cider press.
Our knowledgeable members will be there to answer all questions on how to
grow
these interesting things in your back yard.

Sherwin D.

Whenever I wanted to grow apples on my property, my neighbors would tell me
I am risking an explosion in bee population. I am worried about that, since
I have kids. How do you professionals get around this issue?