Old 12-10-2005, 01:13 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"gentlegreen" writes:

| They'll also invade if your bird table is next to the compost container.
| They'll also use it for a place to stay even if food is elsewhere.
|
| I'm guessing this is the explanation for the rat hole found leading down
| under the decking in the garden of a friend - ...

It is. An experienced ratcatcher told me that they invaded compost
heaps for shelter, warmth and worms - all of which are inseparable
from composting - and I can confirm that from my experience. It
is complete hooey that the cooked/raw status of food makes any
difference, and almost entirely so that the presence of small
amounts of meat scraps does.

If you are in the habit of putting whole legs of lamb or chickens
on the heap, you will attract foxes. Possibly cats and rats as
well, but definitely foxes.

Talking about such beliefs, we haven't had anyone claim recently
that a pyramidal shaped compost bin works better than a cylindrical
one. It's the energy flows, you know.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.