Old 12-10-2005, 05:34 PM
Kay

In article , Pete Franklin
writes

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

It is. An experienced ratcatcher told me that they invaded compost
heaps for shelter, warmth and worms - all of which are inseparable
from composting - and I can confirm that from my experience. It
is complete hooey that the cooked/raw status of food makes any
difference, and almost entirely so that the presence of small
amounts of meat scraps does.

If you are in the habit of putting whole legs of lamb or chickens
on the heap, you will attract foxes. Possibly cats and rats as
well, but definitely foxes.

I think I'm with Nick and the OP on this one. Rats eat pretty much
anything - they got on to our canal boat once and ate the soap out of the
middle of the Brillo pads, leaving the wire wool nicely fluffed up.

Soap is apparently a favourite. On Lundy Island they test for rats by
leaving out soap and candles - if the rats are around they will nibble.

I really
can't believe that they are that fussy whether your offerings are cooked or
not - "I won't eat this carrot - it's raw" is not something a rat is likely
to think.

I asked this question on urg a while back, and someone suggested that
cooked is tenderer so more calories for less effort, which I suppose is
a possibility. And someone else that most meat on compost heaps has been
cooked, so that's where the association came from.

--
Kay