Old 13-10-2005, 02:52 PM
Wolf Kirchmeir

Anthony Pinto wrote:
Hi,

is there a way to help a plant with fertilizer burn to recover?

The plants in question are agapanthus, and I know I over fertilized. The
leaves turned yellow and it;s not looking very happy at the moment.
Is fungus something I need to worry about? Should I continue watering? I
have cut the yellow parts of the leaves already.

Please tell me how else I can save them there is a whole row at the front of
my house, and I like them there.

Thanks in advance,

If the soil is well drained, so that water will flow through it
_quickly_, flush with water. You could also try potting the plants, and
flushing the pots, mostly to get any fertiliser off the roots. But I'm
afraid if the li'l gluttons have taken too much nitrogen on board
there's nothing you can do. Wait another couple weeka or so, and if they
don't recover, remove them. You should wait several weeks (or even over
winter) before planting anything to replace them as the soil will likely
still be over fertilised.

HTH and good luck.