Old 13-10-2005, 10:38 AM
Mike Lyle

motorhomes4sale wrote:
Mab Wrote:
personally I'm a big fan of common garden worms and wouldn't want

kill them.

Im not a fan so how should I kill them

Maybe it's worth explaining a bit here, mh4s; though I don't know if
uk.rec.gardening messages all get through to GardenBanter.

People often think of soil as just "stuff"; but in fact it's a
complex biological _system_. If we take out one of the parts of the
system, it won't work properly. Earthworms work for the lawn by
eating dead grass blades, and by drilling millions of holes to
promote drainage and oxygenation -- if they aren't doing that, then
we may need to bring in aerating machinery.

They also tempt birds into the garden, which is good news, too.

It's usually easier to get out there with a witches' broom
occasionally than have the hassle of regularly spraying with a worm
killer, and hiring and operating an aerator every so often. Works
better, too.

Enjoy your lawn. If you still want to try to kill them off, the
garden centre should be able to offer something, though I know the
old-fashioned poisons are too dangerous to be sold any more.

--
Mike.