Old 13-10-2005, 11:09 AM
newsb

In article .com,
Connor T writes
Good point - GS dont go red - Take that reference to refer to the taste
then, rather than the color!

Cheers for the advice on pruning - very valuable - We do have a LOT of
newish vertical growth which has just gone straight up from a certain
point, and thats what I hope to tackle.

The tree does seem to be in good condition otherwise however - LOTS of
fruit, and no dead wood that i can see. Altho it did get hit by some
sort of burrowing pest this year.

I may well be wrong, but thought that if you prune such growth in winter
it just encourages it to grow more next year. That's certainly what
happened to one of my apples last year. This year, I've given it a
pretty severe late summer haircut so will see how it goes.

(The tree in question is large but the apples are still accessible. It
has had a lot of vertical top growth for the last few years I think.
I've no idea what variety it is but it seems to be a very late ripening
cooker - but quite sweet for a cooker. The fruit is mainly green and
the apples are mainly average eater size. The flesh is firm and
incredibly white. All in all, excellent fruit.)

--
regards andyw