Old 13-10-2005, 07:15 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default Getting rid of Wasps Nests

The message
from "Patrick E. King" contains these words:

About two weeks ago she mentioned that she had seen two or three circling
the light in the loft while she was up there.
I went up...had a look... saw two or three but no sign of a nest.
(Incidentally, what does a wasp nest look like?)
Taking no chances I sprayed some insecticide and found about a dozen dead
some hours later.
It's just gone on like this ever since with smaller numbers of fatalities.

A bit like one of those chinese paper globe lampshades on a stalk.

It could be (not bee) that all you have there is queen wasps come in to
hibernate. I watched one disappearing into one of my polythene-lined
wooden flower troughs which I have round the flat roof of the ablutions
block -

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/temp/garden/

One year I found about a dozen queen wasps and several queen hornets
zuzzing in an old caravan I had. Carefully, I put them in one of the
outbuildings.

We had a hornet's nest somewhere fairly close this year - either that,
or an airfield I don't know about...

--
Rusty