Old 14-10-2005, 12:25 AM
J Fortuna

Default orchid database?

I was wondering how many people here have a database for keeping track of
your orchids, and if you do what kind of info do you store in your database?

I have a database that I created in MS Access in August 2004 and have been
using since then. In this database I store information such as: official
name of plant, my own nickname for each orchid, genus, whether it is a
species or hybrid, date acquired and vendor acquired from, comments,
spiking/blooming/wilting dates (whenever I remember to log them or
approximate dates when I do not), and also watering dates with average
watering interval calculated. I run a query every morning which tells me
which orchids most likely will need to be watered on that day, and then I
check these orchids first and water them if needed and if I have time then I
check the ones scheduled for the following day or two to check whether they
need watering early. I log the date watered in the database immediately
after the watering, so that I continue to keep track. I also have a query
showing me a list of orchids that are currently in bloom and since when, and
all the ones that are currently in spike and since when.

Anyone else track watering schedules in a database, or am I weird in that
respect?

What other info do you track? I know I should probably add fields to my
database to track the date each orchid was last repotted, any other info
that it would be useful to track?

Joanna