Old 18-01-2003, 05:23 PM
Mungo \Two Sheds\ Toadfoot

Default Ancient chilli peppers

"Sue & Bob Hobden" wrote in message

Si wrote in message
I've been given some red chillies that were dried over 40 years ago; is
there any chance the seeds will germinate if planted?

Seeing as some seeds found in a Pharaoh's Tomb were germinated

!!!
I was excited to get my 40-year-olds!

I don't see
why not, give it a go but don't expect 100% or even 50% germination and it
might take a bit longer than normal.
Could even be a "lost" variety.

Wouldn't that be good? All I know about them is that they were used for a
Geest photo shoot.

If there's an outside chance that they would germinate

Same as for normal chillies except I would expect staggered germination so
perhaps instead ofplanting them as normal spread them on wet kitchen paper
in a tub and place that in the airing cupboard. Check daily and when you

see
roots then transfer that seedling(?) to a tray of compost, might need
tweezers.
This should be kept as near 70°F as possible, gradually reducing the temp,
but never going below 50°F. Need as much light as possible.
Keep in a greenhouse as per Tomatoes or plant out early June in a sunny
protected place.

Printed and filed for slightly warmer times, thank you. When would be a good
time to start them off indoors? About mid-Feb? March? I'm in Ramsgate, Kent,
and it's not often *really* cold outdoors.

Good luck, keep us informed.

Will do.

Si