Old 14-10-2005, 01:08 PM
gerald

Default Malathion mixture for orchids

BAYER Tree&Shrub insect control.
No Spraying

Contains 1.47% imidacloprid.

Imidacloprid is synthetic nicotine. Is a systemic, not a contact
killer. Aparently not as poisonus as real nicotine, which I think is
off the market.

Works very well on scale and mealybugs. Not much else does.

I cannot imagine spraying Malathion on the 2-300 orchids in my house,
and then churning the stuff through my heating system.

I had a huge infestation of scale & mealybugs on about 100-150 cats &
phals last winter. I mixed the recommended dosage of T&S in with my
monthly feedings. Took about 3 months to totally wipe the infestation
out.

I got reference to this from he

http://www.njorchids.org/articles/Mealybug/Mealybug.htm

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 13:18:19 -0700, "K Barrett"
wrote:

I read about an new (to me) product called Bayer Rose and Flower Insect
Killer that has Imocloprid and something called Clyfluthrin (sorry if I
spelled that wrong). Label says its a systemic and kills on contact.
Those seem to be counter intuitive to me, how can it do both? I always
thought an insecticide was one or the other.... ... I am assuming the
Clyfuthrin is the systemic/contact killer of adults while the imicloprid
affects newly hatched young.