Old 14-10-2005, 02:49 PM

Default orchid database?

J Fortuna wrote:
I was wondering how many people here have a database for keeping track of
your orchids, and if you do what kind of info do you store in your database?

I use Filemaker Pro and have a single database for all my tropicals,
including the orchids. The fields include: Family, Genus and Species,
my accession number, other accession numbers (from source, etc),
natural habitat, source of plant, date of repotting, potting material,
date of blooming, photograph, and other comments (seedling
distributions, locality/collection data, unusual characteristics, etc).

I usually keep the file sorted by Family, Genus and species, and
accession number, but Filemaker lets me search and sort by any of the
fields. It also lets me maintain the database in multiple formats.
One format contains all the fields with each plant on a separate page,
and the second is a list for quick scanning or printing that contains
only Family, Genus and Species, and accession number.

Nick