Old 14-10-2005, 05:41 PM
wendy7

Default orchid database?

Yes Joanna, I have a data base I made using Access97 as well. I also have
"EverythingOrchid"
from our very own Pam Knapp who sometimes visits our group.
I could not imagine being without it especially with thousands of orchid
plants. I
try to keep mine updated, potting dates, divisions, culture notes etc.

http://www.pe.net/~profpam/page1.html
Pam's database is really neat & well worth the money. One feature I like for
example is
you can view a list of orchids that have bloomed in any given month.....of
course you
have to keep the bloom date updated! But I love it.
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

J Fortuna wrote:
I was wondering how many people here have a database for keeping
track of your orchids, and if you do what kind of info do you store
in your database?

I have a database that I created in MS Access in August 2004 and have
been using since then. In this database I store information such as:
official name of plant, my own nickname for each orchid, genus,
whether it is a species or hybrid, date acquired and vendor acquired
from, comments, spiking/blooming/wilting dates (whenever I remember
to log them or approximate dates when I do not), and also watering
dates with average watering interval calculated. I run a query every
morning which tells me which orchids most likely will need to be
watered on that day, and then I check these orchids first and water
them if needed and if I have time then I check the ones scheduled for
the following day or two to check whether they need watering early. I
log the date watered in the database immediately after the watering,
so that I continue to keep track. I also have a query showing me a
list of orchids that are currently in bloom and since when, and all
the ones that are currently in spike and since when.

Anyone else track watering schedules in a database, or am I weird in
that respect?

What other info do you track? I know I should probably add fields to
my database to track the date each orchid was last repotted, any
other info that it would be useful to track?

Joanna