Old 14-10-2005, 02:55 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] timber training boxes

Roger Snipes wrote:

I have used standard 1" x 4" fir or pine lumber for building training
boxes. I have had a number of these in service for over five years and
no problem with them rotting away. I can detect some rot progressing on
the inside surface on some of them, but they are still good for a few
more years.

One of the other guys in our club uses redwood for training boxes, and I
have used that as well. It will last longer than pine or fir. If you
have sealed your box with exterior varnish inside and out it should last
for many years.

And, the fact that the dead wood of the box rots has
absolutely NO correlation with the live roots of a tree
rotting. Apples and oranges.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - When we
see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to
use it with love and respect - Aldo Leopold - A Sand County
Almanac

++++Sponsored, in part, by John Romano++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++