Old 14-10-2005, 05:57 PM
Cindy

Default Sankes, rats, crickets, frogs and lizards (was Winter cover for bare soil)

What kind of lizards do you have? :-)

I have an 8-yr-old green iguana, a young savannah monitor, and 3 northern
blue-tongued skinks. Been looking at water dragons, but have managed to
resist so far.

I have two boa constrictors, one is 19 years old (Eve.) 2 rosy boas, 1
African clawed frog, 2 3-toed box turtles and a diamondback terrapin. I
think that's all.

I just dropped 5 bucks on crickets yesterday for my pet bullfrog. She
is still a baby but is really growing fast, so beginning to eat a lot
more! She morphed in early January of this year. I bought her as a
tadpole.

I've always wanted a large frog! G Pretty tame too, especially
compared to leapard frogs. Siggy lets me handle and pet her. She's
about 2" long now and gettng hefty.

I gut load her crickets with a mix of fish food and reptile vitamins.
She has also increased her cricket intake since I put her on moss
instead of fishtank gravel. I think she finds it more comfortable. I
should have used that as substrate in the first place! I was worried
about ease of keeping it clean, but it appears it's actually going to
be easier than rinsing gravel once every couple of weeks.

I also gutload my crickets and mealworms, and I do feed frozen rats and
mice, as I don't enjoy killing them. I have some pet rats also--6 of them
are the hairless variety. They feel like warm felt.

I had an Argentine horned frog for about 10 yrs, but it died recently. I
started out with aquarium gravel for it too, but ended up using the moss.
Much nicer for the frog.

I want to eventually build her a large vivarium once I finish
redecorating the livingroom. Half land and half water. Once she gets
bigger, she really should have access to feeder fish to eat, so that
will require a better aquatic habitat.

Are you going to build a wood one or use an aquarium? I siliconed a divider
across a 50-gal. tank years ago for garter snakes--that worked very well.
Even had baby snakes before I eventually turned the big ones loose again.
(Yes, I know now you're not supposed to turn them loose, but didn't then.)
For a bullfrog I imagine you'd want at least an 80-gal. tank.

You're in the reptile newsgroup too, right? You can get good information
there, although trolls have driven many of the regulars away. There's also
a Houston Herps yahoo group, but it's fairly new and not very active yet.

It's funny how the crickets all swarm the food dish when they are put
in her terrarium. The pet store does not feed them so they are always
very hungry... Poor things! :-(

Also, how are you killing houseflies? I'm having a problem with them
on the sun porch and the usual stinkbait drowning bag trap is not
attracting these for some reason. I've considered Golden Mallorin
(sp?) but the last time I bought it, it did not work very well.

I used to use the stinky drowning traps too, but don't want to anymore as I
can't put them far enough away from the house here in suburbanville to get
away from the stench. I got some new flytraps, but haven't got to test them
yet as they arrived after the flies were gone. I'll have to find the name
and post the url. Remind me if I forget.

I used to keep a pet boa constrictor but I lost her after a very long
(and expensive) fight with some sort of gastrointestinal disorder.
sigh Sucked too. I had her for several years and Babs was a really
nice pet. I won't keep pet snakes anymore. I just don't really have
the space now that we've moved into a smaller house. I always did
feel a bit sorry for the rats. ;-) I've kept pet rats and they are
smart and interesting pets. Too bad they only live about 2 years. My
last pet rat was one of those naked, hairless ones. She only lived
about 1 year. :-(

Many snake owners train their pet snakes to eat fresh frozen rats,
thawed and warmed. It's less risky for the snakes as rat bites during
constriction can be a problem and can get infected. Or, if a rat is
left unattended with a snake that is not ready to eat, the rat can
inflict severe damage to a snake. I've seen horrible photos of that.
:-( I always supervised feedings when I fed live, but I did
eventually switch her to FF thawed rats. She ate them ok.