Old 14-10-2005, 06:16 PM
capstan

Default pyracantha

"Dean" wrote in message
Is this a good time of year for planting Pyracantha?If not when would be?
Im still undecided whether to plant it or virginia creeper (when to plant
this also?) along the front of the house, are the roots of either of them
likely to damage foundations/damp course etc? Any advise would be most
welcome.

TIA

Dean

I have both.
Pros and cons........
The Pyracantha is the more dangerous of the two, nasty vicious spines, (good
burglar deterrent), slower growing, easier to train and prune to shape and
height, insipid flowers in spring, choice of either red, yellow,or orange
berries in autumn/winter which the birds like, not self clinging, will need
some support depending on height, foliage skinny and duller (?),

Virginia Creeper......rampant grower, self clinging which can be a problem
to surface of house, can easily get under the eaves and will cover the whole
house walls and roof if not maintained, beautiful foliage with wonderful
leaf colours in autumn, good bird-nester, turns a house into a
well-lived-in-home look, but important that height and spread is
controlled,..... my favourite of the two.

Can't give an opinion on root damage to house foundations because my house
is embedded in solid sandstone and the plants are in raised beds with a
stone barrier between the plants and the house.